Evolution of Mill Prong
The Mill Prong House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. The original nomination form when applying for National Register status explains the historical significance of this house.
Specs on the Mill Prong House
Mill Prong House, ca. 1920
The two large chimneys are slightly different in appearance, although they were probably constructed at the same time, perhaps by different masons. The chimneys are light-colored, handmade brick laid in a Flemish bond pattern. Flemish bond is a method of laying bricks using one long brick and then one header. The same type bricks were used to construct the fireplaces and piers underneath the house. In the restoration, all the piers underneath the house, except one, were removed and replaced with new brick. While the brick piers were bring replaced, the house was held up by jacks. The handmade brick from the piers was used to repair the chimneys. Archibald McEachern (1788-1873) purchased Mill Prong House and land in 1834.
The house and land remained in his family until 1978, when an heir, Lida Bullock of Red Springs, granted a long-term lease of the house and 2.86 acres to Mill Prong Preservation, Incorporated. After her death, her children conveyed full ownership to Mill Prong Preservation, Incorporated. The restoration of Mill Prong House was completed in 1993. The two large chimneys are slightly different in appearance, although they were probably constructed at the same time, perhaps by different masons.